Tuesday, January 28, 2014

What's on Your Nightstand: Arctic Cold Edition



This is one of the shortest posts I've ever had, but it includes two of my very favorite series ever written!


THE GOOD


I love this series!! The Number 1 Ladies Detective Agency of Botswana ladies feel like old friends now, I've read all their exploits to date. This new installment is really fun--Mma Makutsi is being a bit secretive, the ladies are still feeling the joy of meeting the great Clovis Anderson and the case of the missing nephew has them on their toes. A very nice installment for this wonderful series. The Minor Adjustment Beauty Salon by Alexander McCall Smith.


 





I have hopelessly and eternally lost my heart to Victorian detective William Monk and his friends Hester, Callandra and Oliver. A man with no memory of his past, save the most recent few years since his coaching accident, Monk uses his wiles and logic to solve troubling cases. I love the way this man thinks and I love the relationships between the characters.  This installment  finds Oliver defending a sort of Duchess of Windsor -- Princess Diana combination in Victoria clothing. And my Dear William Monk nearly loses his heart to the wrong lady!! Very exciting stuff!


 


The second William Monk outing  find Monk troubled by the feelings for someone close to him that he can no longer deny. So fun to see him puzzling it all out. The Silent Cry by Anne Perry. I'm already reading the next book!






THE BAD


Desperate for an audio book (the ones I'd requested at the library weren't in yet) I grabbed this off the shelf. In spite of the story involving British Royalty, it did not really hold my attention that well. The Italian Secretary: A Further Adventure of Sherlock Holmes by Caleb Carr







THE UGLY




This was the other audio I grabbed in desperation. It is a darker-toned book than I often like, but it was doing a fine job of holding my attention and I was starting to get a handle on the characters when out of nowhere comes a scene of the girl with her father (uncle? a man) apparently looking at her and, shall we say, rubbing himself. To put something like that in a story without a warning is horrific. I am not an incest survivor, but another woman reading this book could have been triggered into flashbacks or worse. Highly irresponsible. It's a shame too, because I could not get back to the story after that and left it unfinished.The trend for including events like this is very disturbing. If the only way the author can be published is to include such jarring events, then the publishers need to take a hard look at themselves and their greed for ever-more salacious sexual acts in fiction. Linda Olsson is a fabulously evocative writer, but her story was destroyed for me with that one scene. I doubt I was the only woman who had that experience. That said, I would like to read another of her books because he language was so simple and lovely. Astrid & Veronika by Linda Olsson.

Need ideas on what to read next? Head over to 5 Minutes for Books for all of this month's What's on Your Nightstand posts.

7 comments:

Barbara H. said...

I had not heard of William Monk - those books sound interesting.

I so agree with you about putting some kind of jarring sexual scene into so much of modern literature. I've had more than one book ruined for me in that way. I wish books came with ratings systems like films so we wouldn't be caught by surprise.

Susan said...

I'm going to have to read one of the Perry mysteries after you have recommended them so highly. Can I just choose any one to start? I, also, hate it when a book catches me off guard with something objectionable once I've gotten into it!!

Annette W said...

I'm not sure if I've said this before, but I like your style of The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly! Definitely sounds ugly!

Tonia L said...

I had forgotten about the #1 Ladies Detective Agency! I read the first few but got distracted by other books. I'll have to get back to that series.

The Anne Perry series sounds intriguing as well - just put the first book on hold.

And I agree with you in your assessment of the last book (though I haven't read that one). I so dislike it when things like that are added - especially when it feels like it's coming out of left field.

Hopewell said...

The Monk series needs to be read in order. I got the first 3 cheap for kindle. The Wikipedia entry lists them in order but I think there's a spoiler in the text so skip down to the list of books.

bekahcubed said...

I listened to my first Number 1 Ladies' Detective Agency book on a road trip with my mother-in-law-to-be a little more than a year ago...and then I was crazy busy with moving and getting married and learning how to be newly married and haven't read any more. I must get back to those.

Monk sounds intriguing. I might have to check him out as well :-)

Cassandra said...

Ack! Why would they ruin Astrid & Veronika with an icky scene? Such a shame, as the cover is gorgeous. Thanks for the heads up.
I hope February has some much better reads for you!