Monday, December 23, 2013

What's on Your Nightstand: Christmas Eve edition






What a whiny brat of a wife! Good grief! Trollope's writing is great, but Alexa was such a spoiled brat of a wife I couldn't warm up to her at all. I've never been a military wife, but its too well known that the military in just about any country is about the service personnel and not their families. Poor Alexa! She had to turn down a job! Cry! Let's see, hubby just risked his life for months in Afghanistan and came home unhurt but all you give a damn about is how miserable you are being a stay-at-home-mom? Please!  I get, too, that the daughter didn't like it at boarding school. Boarding school is nearly unfathomable in USA, but still--it takes a while to adjust. Be grateful for not having to change schools all the time. Still, I could live with that line. Could live with Alexa's relentless me-me-me attitude. If I was hubs I'd have gone back to the war.
Listened to the audio of this one. The Soldier's Wife by Joanna Trollope.




Two Joanna Trollope books in one month and, sadly, neither lived up to expectations. Sense & Sensibility, Trollope's well written modern take on the classic comedy of manners and romance, was pleasant and fun, but nothing beyond that. Perfect reading, though, for vacation travel or for lying on a beach! Sense & Sensibility by Joanna Trollope.






The Last Original Wife is a GEM! This lady gets it when it comes to high-flying men and their late middle years! It was a joy to read from start to finish and I shook my head so many times in wondrous amazement at her perception! A realistic tale, wonderfully told, this one is not to be missed! The Last Original Wife by Dorothea Benton Frank.







I am hopelessly in love with this series! William Monk and Hester Latterly are my idea of a power couple, circa the 1860s. Trouble is, they haven't yet realized it! While these books do center on a murder, they are really as much a romance as a mystery. Light, compelling reading, they are my go-to books for bedtime kindle reading. I won't stop till I've read them all.  Sins of the Wolf by Anne Perry.







Need ideas on what to read next? Go to 5 Minutes for Books and see all the What's on Your Nightstand posts for December.

1 comment:

Kara Keenan said...

I really like Dorothea Benton Frank. She's great. Authors in the same vein are Nancy Thayer, Claire Cook, and Elin Hilderbrand.