Monday, October 21, 2013

What's on Your Nightstand? October 2013 Ediion









If you've read this blog very long, you've discovered that once I like an author I tend to read everything of theirs I can find! Currently that author is Joanna Trollope. I previously reviewed The Rector's Wife. This month it's The Choir.

Another excellent slice of life novel from Joanna Trollope. Though not as good as "The Rector's Wife," this book still packs a punch. The politics and money of organized religion, the personalities involved in a both religion and education, combined with the very human fabric of the surrounding society are each brought almost cruelly to life here. From the very grand Dean who has so lost control of his own family that even his wife calls him "Hufffo," to the sensational organist, Leo, whose life is complicated by Huffo's daughter, to the school old boy who wanders in, lost in adult life without the anchoring of the choir, the cast of characters is both unforgiving and unforgettable. In the end, though, I felt this book trailed off. The ending was not as strong as the middle of the story. That said, I have fallen in love with Joanna Trollope's writing and will very likely soon finish all of her novels. The Choir by Joanna Trollope.


Big, sprawling, epic novel. The sort I love to loose myself in. A very human Anthony against a very cold and calculating Octavian. FABULOUS! This has all the elements I love in a novel: accurate history, vivid characters, an older man-younger woman love story (I've written a lot on these romances here, here, and, of course, in the novel I am writing!). I may eventually read the others in this series. I listened to the audio book--23 discs and I barely noticed the time! Anthony and Cleopatra by Colleen McCullough.





When certain friends recommend books, I sit up and listen! Flora is one such book. And, what a book!  A marvelous book--she captures the spirit, soul and very essence of her characters.

When the spinster cousin comes to take care of her little cousin--an orphan of sorts--neither imagines the impact they will each have on the other one's life. The back story of the house, it's "ghosts," and its use would make a fascinating second book!

 I cannot wait to read more by this author. Her work "feels" very much like that of Beth Hoffman. Flora by Gail Godwin




If you've ever dreamed of becoming a writer....
If you've ever wished for a writer's group in your own backyard....
This is the book for you! A novel of my Mother's generation--when it wasn't taken for granted that women SHOULD, let alone COULD make their own dreams come true. The husband's dreams--well, of course! This is a book of sisterhood, of motherhood, neighborhood and, if such a word exists, wife-hood. I loved it. Yes, there are stereotypical things....so what, is what I say this time. My one and only complaint was that the only negative character was a Christian. Otherwise, I loved it cover-to-cover.  The Wednesday Sisters, by Meg Waite Clayton. This summer the sequel, The Wednesday Daughters, was released. I look forward to reading it soon.



I loved this. That's all I need to say, well that and JUST READ IT!!! Got it? I now want to read everything any Bronte published--that's the effect this wonderful book had on me. It may be that, since I'm pretty ignorant on all things Bronte, I may not see things wrong with it. It happens. I can't enjoy royal family fiction (except Alan Benett and Sue Townsend and a few others) because of historical errors. So, blame my ignorance if you find something! I certainly didn't. I enjoyed every word of this!! The Secret Diaries of Charlotte Mason by Syrie James





See all the great books on all the nightstands this month at 5 Minutes for Books.

9 comments:

Kara Keenan said...

I tried to read The Wednesday Sisters this month, and I just couldn't get through it. It just wasn't my book I guess.

Susan said...

wow! I would enjoy every one of these! I'm going to have to read some Trollope. What would you begin with? I think I've read some things by mcCoullough -- doesn't she write big epic sagas?

Hopewell said...

I listened to it on audio---that may have helped. I sometimes have that happen--don't like in print, but love in audio or the other way around.

Hopewell said...

Susan: McCullough wrote "The Thorn Birds." I've only read the two, so far, by Trollope, so just see what you can get at the library and enjoy!!

Jen E @ mommablogsalot said...

These all sound really great, definitely going to have to look into a few of them!

Lisa notes... said...

Isn't it fun to find an author you love? It's then so exciting every time they come out with a new book. The Wednesday Sisters sounds very interesting.

Annette {This Simple Home} said...

Just put two of these on hold at the library...now if I actually get to them, that'd be great!

Barbara H. said...

The Secret Diaries of Charlotte Bronte sounds really good.

Hopewell said...

Thank you, ladies, for your nice comments!