Monday, February 20, 2012

What I've been watching

I have barely read ANYTHING this month!! I've been immersed in "Monarch of the Glen" and "Downton Abbey."

First "Monarch:" (Thanks to faithful readers, "dstb" and "Becky" for encouraging me to watch this!)I've laughed, cried, pumped my fist in the air, smacked my forehead and not wanted it to end. Love the fact that Julian Fellows, creator of Downton Abbey, plays a recurring role in the show and is, at least thru mid season 6, the star of my very favorite moment!



The best moment, Kilwillie's Tango with Molly, starts at 4:57 in the clip linked above and is PRICELESS. The rivalry between the ultra-Cool Andrew (I can hear Santana starting up "Smooth" when Andrew comes in) and the ultra-Traditional Lord Killwillie is one of the delightfully fun secondary stories in this series. This dance definitely scores a big one for the Artistos!

Fellows is an exceptional screen writer, too. "Gosford Park," anyone? He wrote it! And then there's the best thing to hit PBS's acclaimed "Masterpiece" since the Bellamy's left Eaton Place in the 70s, namely, Fellow's greatest creation, Downton Abbey. While my secret hope is that Simon Williams (aka "Major James Bellamy" of the TRUE "Upstairs, Downstairs") will have guest role in an episode someday, I am loving every single minute of this fabulous show! The true star of this show is Maggie Smith as the Dowager Countess of Grantham. She is what I watch for most of all. I love the others, but Maggie gets the best lines every time.

Being a Dowager Countess is not all that it's cracked up to be, but Maggie wears it well (as Rod Stewart would say) Here, in all her glory, are some of Violet, Dowarger Countess of Grantham's best moments.


Now how will I LIVE with both shows "done?" How WILL I wait till Season 3 of Downtown?? Write Fan Fiction? I could, I've done it before. Re-watch them till even the cats can recite the lines? Probably? Whatever! What pleasant obsessions to harbor--a great house in Edwardian and post-Edwardian England and a modern Scottish Estate headed by a good-looking young "laird?" Sure beats what's on the rest of tv these days.

5 comments:

dstb said...

Oh, I am glad you liked Monarch. I just loved it and the scenery was stunning.

I haven't seen Downton yet, but so many people love it, so it is on my to-be-watched list!

Another show that I liked, only connected because it is Scottish, is Hamish Macbeth. Kind of quirky, like Northern Exposure, but with Scots! Robert Carlyle (Full Monty) is the star.

Sarah

Hopewell said...

I'll probably request Hamish, too, since I liked Monarch. Downton is GREAT tv.

dstb said...

Just keep in mind that Hamish is very different than Monarch. Once you get to know the characters, though, it's pretty funny. It's only 3 seasons long and the final two episodes have to do with the Stone of Destiny.

Sarah

Becky said...

I had not made the Julian Fellowes connection between downton abbey & monarch. How fun! I've never seen Gosford Park...have to add that to my Netflix queue .

HoganWorld said...

The dresses of this Dolce & Gabbana Sunglasses are manufactured with the best quality fabric. They are comfortable enough to wear, are highly sophisticated and help a lot in Abercrombie Fitch Outletflattering others. If you want to enhance your beauty, style and feminine look, then nothing can be better than these Franklin and Marshall hoodies. They are meant to be suitable for the delicacy and elegancy of women.