Tuesday, January 03, 2012

Must Read Book of 2012


I read SO MANY great books this year! However, the one that touched me most was Nothing Daunted: The Unexpected Education of Two Society Girls in the West by Dorothy Wickenden. You can read my earlier review of this book HERE. This book is what happened when two "society" girls decided to ditch the country club and "get a life." So amazing and so inspirational.

The Runners-up were many and included:

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet which I reviewed HERE.
Major Pettigrew's Last Stand (which I did not like in print, but loved in audio) which I reviewed HERE.

There were several more good ones, but there you have THE book I recommend you read this year and two others!!

2 comments:

dstb said...

I have Nothing Daunted on my TBR list.

I really enjoyed Major Pettigrew, so I am glad you were happy with the audio version.

Here is a list of the books I enjoyed this year. Some were published awhile ago.
The Red Tent by Anita Diamant
The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom (read by Nadia May)
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
North of the Sun by Fred Hatfield
Life Is So Good by George Dawson and Richard Glaubman
A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
The Power of One by Bryce Courtenay
Phantom by Susan Kay
Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
Lost in Shangri-La by Mitchell Zuckoff
They Poured Fire on Us from the Sky by Benson Deng, Alephonsion Deng, and Benjamin Ajak
Turn Right at Machu Picchu by Mark Adams

If I had to pick my absolute favorite, I would probably pick Phantom. I remember thinking at the time that if I were still in my teens, Phantom would be one of those books that I would have stayed up until the wee hours to finish.

Thanks for the book ideas!
Sarah

Hopewell said...

Sarah--I'll look into those on your list that I haven't read (many I have). I love comparing notes with other readers!