Thursday, November 17, 2011

Short but sweet booklist

As I sat waiting hours in the doctor's office yesterday I had time to do something I rarely do anymore--read real print magazines! In the current Woman's Day I found a short list of favorites reads by author Debbie Macomber. Here's how I stack up with her little list:


1. Christmas Box by Richard Paul Evans. I've read it, enjoyed the moment, but would not re-read it. To saccaharin for my taste.

2. Christy by Catherine Marhsall. Loved it, have re-read it and probably will do so again. Even enjoyed the tv series about it. Of course Peter Marshall, her late first husband, was one of America's premier pastors.

3. The Good Earth by Pearl Buck. This one even made Oprah's list. I was mesmerized by it a few years ago. It had been on every suggested reading list of my life, but I'd never picked it up. A tremendous, if gloomy, story.

4. Gift from the Sea by Anne Morrow Lindberg. Loved it then and now. It resonates far more when I read passages from it as a Mother rather than when I was alone.


5. A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens. I read it in Middle School like nearly everyone alive have watched just about every film version including the Flintstones and still love it.


Tomorrow--MY 5 Top Reads of All Time.......

3 comments:

dstb said...

Which is your favorite film version of The Christmas Carol? I got the Sims one, but my family didn't like it.

Sarah

Hopewell said...

Mr. Magoos Christmas Carol!! Actually, I'm not sure I really have a "favorite" I can tell you I won't be sad if I never have to watch the All Dogs Christmas Carol again! My son wore that out!!!

dstb said...

You are too funny. All Dogs Christmas Carol. Glad that never made it into my house.