Tuesday, November 29, 2011

More booklist fun!! NY Times 100 Notable Books of 2011

Image Credit: www.nytimes.com

As I begin the countdown to announcing my "Must Read Book" for 2012, I'm continuing to review what I've read and nominated for that prestigious title! While I'm ruminating, I thought you'd all enjoy another great booklist!!



Here's my take, or link to my take if I've already reviewed it, of the books I've read from this year's NY Times List. New York Times editors' selections are not always fast or easy to come by where I live! Some I've been on the waiting list for for more than 3 months!

FICTION:
The Barbarian Nurseries by Hector Tobar: On my nightstand right now waiting for me to pick it up and start reading!

Buddah in the Attic: I'm on the waiting list for this title at the library. More to come....

The Cat's Table: Near the top of the list for this one at the library. Soon....

London Train..... ditto

My New American Life by Francine Prose.....I want this in audio and have requested it. Should have it in the next two weeks.

Train Dreams....trying to find a copy. It's set in the area I used to vacation in during the late 80s.

NONFICTION

Catherine the Great by Robert K. Massie On my Christmas list. Massie is a favorite of mine, though he's lost his spark lately.

I previously reviewed the next three, so click on the link to read my take on each.

Cocktail Hour Under the Tree of Forgetfulness by Alexandra Fuller

Destiny of the Republic by Candice Millard

In the Garden of Beasts by Erik Larson

1861: The Civil War Awakening couldn't keep it long enough to finish it, I'll return to it again later.


The Information: A History on my professional to-read list

A Train in Winter to read


How about you? Have you read or reviewed any/every book in this list?? Post your comments, please or leave a link to your post!!

5 comments:

dstb said...

Well, I know I got Moby-Duck out of the library, but it is not on my list of books, so I must not have read it.

I have not read any of the other books on the list. So many books, so little time!

Sarah

Hopewell said...

I know--I was a little surprised by how few I'd read. Some I had only "found" very recently, too.

Susan said...

Wow - I read a whole *0* of these! Not that I'm too surprised; I rarely read a book when it's first out. I have been salivating over the Garden of Beasts, though, since I loved Devil in the White City by the same author.

Hopewell said...

Beasts was good--and the ambassador's daughter "reappears" in A Covert Affair which I finished listening to on the drive in today.

Jeanne said...

I haven't read any. What a failure I am.