Tuesday, July 05, 2011

A total delight!

The big plus to my long commute is getting to listen to lots of audio books! This one, Saving CeeCee Honeycutt, was one I savored! Mere listening didn't do it justice.

Ceceila Rose Honeycutt is about 12 and suffering thru life with a mentally ill mother, "the 1951 Vidalia Onion Queen," a largely absent father, and a loving neighbor when the book opens. The day finally comes though when she is freed of the hell of trying to care for her mother and trying to get her father's attention. She is, quite simply, rescued by her great-aunt Tallulah, aka "Tootie," who takes her home to Savanna, Georgia to a sanctuary-like home and the tender loving care of Oletta. Although hit by the occasional PTSD flashback, the love and devotion of the two women, plus another welcome addition to the family, help bring CeeCee back to life and ready to face the new school year.

While I must say that if I was shocked that the author, whose story is set in the very deep south in 1968, had Oletta address a guest by her first name, I was dumb-struck by the garden party. Never mind, these are very minor problems compared with such a robust and loving story.

Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman.

2 comments:

dstb said...

Lisa,

So funny. I just returned from vacation and was catching up on your posts. My mom and sister both read and enjoyed this book and suggested I read it. I agree. Very enjoyable.

I am terrible at remembering books once I have finished them, but it seems to me that if people liked this, they might like The Secret Life of Bees. Does that sound right?

I whizzed through CeeCee, but now I am reading Bauer's The History of the Ancient World and it is taking me forever. Interesting, but not a "fun" read. I don't tend to read more than one at a time though, so I must soldier through.

Sarah

Hopewell said...

I tried Bees when it came out, need to try it again.

I keep a reading log--not a "journal" just a log of all the books I read or listen to. I do a JrHigh School rating with stars! It works! I also add them to Good Reads and a friend and I discuss out books there since we are in different states.