Thursday, May 19, 2011

New take on an ancient story


I confess here and now that I am totally unacquainted with the ancient Epic of Gilgamesh. I will also confess that I intend to keep it that way. I will, however, tell you to go out at once and get Joan London's novel Gilgamesh! This book is a gem! Intriguing, beguiling and totally satisfying in the best possible way. You feel like you've read a huge continent-spanning family epic in which the characters become so real to you that you scream NO! when it's over and desperately want a sequel! This little book (it's under 400 pages) does all that and more. While there, admittedly, were a few slow patches at the beginning, once Jim was on the scene I could barely put it down. I feel I've been to this odd little rural corner of Australia and that I've traveled to war-time Armenia and back. I can smell the nursing home and feel the horror of that schoolyard. Joan London is a craftswoman with this one. I've never heard of her, but if this novel is any indication of her talent, I will be reading more of her work.

4 comments:

dstb said...

Sounds interesting. I note that she has a newer book out. I'm on an Australia kick right now, so I may have to pick one of these up.

I'm reading A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute and I'm really enjoying it.

Sarah

Hopewell said...

I loved "Alice" and am waiting for the mini-series from the library. I'll look for the new book--thanks for the tip!

dstb said...

There's a mini series of Alice? I'll have to look. I finished it last night.

Hopewell said...

Yes! It was done, I think in the 80s--I saw some of it then. Here's a link on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Town-Like-Alice-VHS/dp/1564427749/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1306167790&sr=1-2