Friday, March 11, 2011

Audio can make all the difference

A while back I brought home Major Pettigrew's Last Stand feeling sure I would love it. I didn't and it puzzled me. Thankfully, I decided to give it another try now that the audio book was available. Totally GLAD I did!



This book is a modern treasure! Subtly highlighting the "gauche-ities" of 21st Century life, the book deals with the cross-cultural "mature" romance of uptight/upright Empire-Loving Brit, Ernest Pettigrew and the village shopkeeper, Mrs. Ali. The absurdities of life that cause them to catch each other's eye and to vent ever-so-politiely to each other are truly heartwarming. Love the way their families are...well...normally insane? Believable? Loved? All of the above? Yes.

If you love any of these...



OR


OR




OR

....then you'll definitely want to give the Major and Mrs. Ali a try.

I'm not sure what it is with fiction, but I just have to get a "voice" in my head to enjoy it. Two good examples are [and what DIFFERENT examples!!] are Alexander McCall Smith's 44 Scotland Street and No 1 Ladies Detective agency series and Janet Evonovich's Stephanie Plum books. Print--no thanks. Audio--sign me up! And, a change in readers can ruin the whole thing,too!! To me CJ Critt IS Stephanie Plum--it's her voices I hear for all the characters when I must give up and READ on that she hasn't recorded!!

2 comments:

dstb said...

I really enjoyed Major Pettigrew. I am glad you went back and tried it as an audiobook. I also liked Guernsey. Probably two of my favorites from last year along with The Help, Jane Eyre, and The Housekeeper and the Professor (Ogawa). If you liked Guernsey and Pettigrew I would definitely recommend The Housekeeper and the Professor.

So far this year, I would have to say my favorites are Unbroken (Hillenbrand) and the one I am reading now called Phantom (Kay).

I always like to see what other people are reading and what they would recommend. Thanks!
Sarah

Hopewell said...

I could get into the HELP in either print or audio. I've requested UNBROKEN, but there's a long waiting list. I'll look for the PRofessor--the title sounds interesting enough!!