Thursday, October 28, 2010

What I'm listening to this week


I love history, but the 17th Century has never really captured my interest......until now. My interest in the Quiverfull Movement and Christian Patriarchy helped this book capture my attention. The ancestors of the current Christian far-right are profiled in this highly readable account of the Pilgrims true story. Not surprisingly, there were problems in getting a long with others not like-minded. There was blood-chilling violence, starvation, greed, power struggles, etc. Interestingly, with all the fuss the current ultra-right puts on "Covenant marriage," the Pilgrims viewed marriage in the Dutch way--as a civil matter. Since the marriage ceremony is not in the Bible, the held that it a civil ceremony was good enough. They also didn't celebrate Christmas--too pagan and even punished later arrivals who choose to enjoy themselves and play a rag-tag version of Cricket called Stool Ball. The Pilgrim fathers confiscated the stool bar equipment! Similar to those far-right parents today who want to keep their kids isolated from everything, the Pilgrims struggled to keep their kids away from unGodly influences. It's a gripping tale.

If you idea of pilgrim life comes from Mrs. Pumphrey's classic Stories of the Pilgrims or even from the 1960's Mouse on the Mayflower, you owe yourself a chance to learn the truth. Mayflower by Nathaniel Philbrick.

3 comments:

Susan said...

Hmmm ... sounds interesting, and I like the parallels you were able to find with current-day fundamentalism!

dstb said...

I have not read Mayflower yet, but it is on my shelf. I do recommend Philbrick's In the Heart of the Sea: The Tragedy of the Whaleship Essex. What happened to the Essex is said to be the inspiration for Moby Dick. Around the same time, I read Ahab's Wife. They went well together.

Hopewell said...

dstb: I'll add them both to my "to read" list--Thanks!