Tuesday, August 31, 2010

What I've been reading and listening to

Queen Camilla is Sue Townsend's hilarious continuation of the British Royal Family's exile to an urban "exclusion zone." Prince Philip in a sub-standard nursing home? The queen seeing "the pliers woman" for dental care? Prince William working for a scaffolding company and driving a pickup truck?? For possibly the only time in his royal life, Prince Michael of Kent, came out ahead by fleeing to Dubai without his wife! A hilarious read no matter how you feel about royalty!

The Victorian House reads like a novel-- and as cozy as snuggling under a warm blanket and watching a wonderful British drama like "Upstairs, Downstairs." If you love "The 1900s House" on tv, you will enjoy this one for sure!

P and I have enjoyed listening to the first of the celebrated "Stephanie Plum" series about Trenton's pluckiest bounty hunter! I heard this report on NPR and knew I had to start at the beginning. I had no idea my Mom was an avid fan of the whole series!

5 comments:

Jeanne said...

My sis and I have been reading Stephanie Plum since the beginning as well as your mum! I love Sue Townsend as well, though haven't read this one. Maybe next holiday!

Hopewell said...

If you read The Queen and I and liked it, you'll love Queen Camilla

Susan said...

Queen Camilla sounds like a scream!!

Jeanne said...

Um, are you out there? Hellooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopewell said...

I'm here Jeanne--I was off for a little while--Labor Day here.