Monday, March 08, 2010

My Guest Post at No Longer Quivering

I happy to be helping celebrate the first anniversary of Vyckie's blog No Longer Quivering with a post on "Are Jim-Bob and Michelle Duggar Quiverfull?"

As a Christian I have watched in horror as the Quiverfull movement has gained momentum and exposure thru the Duggars highly-watchable reality show "19 Kids and Counting." No Longer Quivering is a blog that aims to educate the general public about the abusive religious groups in general and about the Quiverfull movement in particular. That said, my piece aside, the blog reflects the opinions of the individual authors and I do not claim to share ALL views expressed there. I support the mission of the blog and stand squarely behind my own pieces which are posted there. For more of my writing on the Duggar's, see my post [published here] "An Open Letter to the Duggars" For more of my writing on Christian motherhood, see my post A Christian Mother's Version of a Perfect Maddness or Raising my Daughter to be a Keeper at Home: Maybe Not!

5 comments:

Quivering Daughters said...

AWESOME post!! Great job, Hopewell!

Susan said...

Lisa, what a thorough and thought-provoking post! I really enjoyed reading it. I'm really torn on the Duggars - I love that they're Christian and so wholesome. On the other hand, I can't buy into the whole patriarchal aspect of their lifestyle. Believe it or not, about 15 years ago my mom and sister (along with several others from our church) when to a several-day seminar with good old Bill Gothard himself. I had no idea at the time that he was controversial. I still have the large hardcover book from the seminar, and remembering several of the things he taught very confidently seeming rather odd - various sins being inherited, etc. It was definitely food for thought, and now that he's so controversial I've often thought I should dig up that book and look through it again.
Maybe you should write about the Duggar show each week - I'd love to read your take!

Hopewell said...

I'd LOVE to see that book!!

Susan said...

Remind me, and I'll bring it when we finally get together :)

Hopewell said...

Cool! I'll make the Tater Tot Casserole, you bring Gothard!!