Tuesday, February 23, 2010

What's on my nightstand?


Answer is! Not a lot!! How did I let THAT happen?? Oh well....he's what I have going:


I just started this last night! This involves an 11-year old girl and her restless, artist Mom, and their travels. Katherine at age 11 is a Civil War freak. I, too, was a Civil War freak at about the same age. I devoured Bruce Catton and memorized entire parts of Gone With the Wind. (Yep! Total Freak!) There may be a "reason" take off for the north, but I'm not there yet! So far, so good is my verdict!The Confederate General Rides North by Amanda Gable

I stalled on this one while devouring theNightingales , but I've picked it back up and it's holding my interest. A classic coming-of-age story that I missed in high school. My Antonia by Willa Cather.

I just finished, and highly recommend, Better Off by Eric Brende. A potential yuppie couple ditches it all to investigate life with minimal technology. They like it and, although the change locations, they stay true to their chosen minimalist life style.




In homeschool with my son, I finished Farewell to Arms by Hemingway. Much better than I expected, but just as depressing at the end as I anticipated!

In the car I'm listening to another Alexander McCall Smith book from the 44 Scotland Street series titled Love Over Scotland and it's WONDERFUL! I love everything of his!



Next up for homeschool audio book is Great Expectations by Charles Dickens.


Stuck without a book to read? Head over to 5 Minutes for Books for more reviews!

5 comments:

Sandra said...

I enjoyed A Farewell to Arms and loved Great Expectations. You have a nice variety going. You sound like a cool Mom.
You asked about Herta Muller's The Land of Green Plums. I write reviews only when my readers request them so I'll write one just for you as soon as I've finished the book. And I'll let you know when it's up. Thank you for visiting Fresh Ink Books.

Carrie said...

Huh. I haven't heard of Love Over Scotland before but it looks appealing! Thanks for listing it and for linking up!

Lauren said...

What a great list! My dad is a HUGE Civil War buff, so I have some curiousity about the Confederate General book. It looks like something I would enjoy. Thanks for sharing your list!

Nise' said...

I love reading about the Civil War too and liked The Confederate General Rides North.

Susan said...

I remember reading Farewell to Arms in high school ... can't remember anything about it though, but Hemingway was rarely happy. The book about the people unplugging from society sounds good to me ... I also never read the Antonia book; sounds good. Thanks for the ideas!