Wednesday, September 23, 2009

What's on My Nightstand & Fall Into Reading





I support just about anything that gets folks reading!!

My list for Fall includes the following (P) "Print" or (A) Audio books:

1. Ivanhoe--this is my current Amblesideonline book--I'm using this list in my life-long learning quest. My grandmother was appalled when she took me to England in '77 that I'd never heard of Sir Walter Scott [I was 14 and in MUNCIE freakin' Indiana, but should have known...the Scholastic Book Club didn't offer books like that and, it being Indiana and all, we didn't even have a public library since we were "county" and not "city" for our address.] I'm about 1/3 of the way thru it--reading it in the slow Charlotte Mason way!

2. VILLETTE by Charlotte Bronte. I needed more Bronte in my life I guess. I'm about 1/4 way thru this one which I downloaded from Project Gutenberg.

3. The Solance of Leaving Early by Haven Kimmel. I just struggled thru her novel "The Used World" without realizing it was part of a "loose" trilogy based on her childhood in the same place I spent mine [same years]. Maybe this will help make sense of "Used World."

4. The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacquline Kelly. This is so wonderful!! A nature lover's delight. [NOTE to Christian Parents: She reads DARWIN....]

5. The Time it Snowed In Puerto Rico by Sarah McCony I found this one thru an ad on www.goodreads.com and read it almost thru in one sitting. Very good. Also just finished Daugher in Time by Josephine Tey from the amblesideonline list. You probably need to love English history to get into it. I really enjoyed it. Still working on Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott--I have to be in the mood for it, but love it when I am in that type mood. Gave up on Chris Lawford's awful spoiled brat book and on Lost Boy by Brent Jeffs. Jeffs' book was interesting but written in a very boring way.

g. Julie and Julia by Julie Powell--working on this a little at a time.

7. 8., 9. The Tea House Fire by Ellis Avery, Saffron Kitchen by Yasmin Crowther and the Sea by John Banville all came from the library in one shipment. They are all audio books for my commute.

I wish I could get P to read ANYTHING ,but he won't. B has pretty much stopped reading, too, since she is back in public school. That's really sad--I loved sharing books with her, but she's 13 and has changed so much since going back to school......

8 comments:

dstb said...

Lisa,

I love to see what you are reading.
The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate sounds great. I will be on the look out for it.
I would like to read Ivanhoe, but that may have to wait until a vacation where I can really spend the time on it.
I see that you have many books going at once. Do you do that so that you can choose one that fits your mood at that moment? I am not sure I could keep them all straight.
The book I am reading right now is The Secret Life of Lobsters by Trevor Corson. I am really enjoying it and have found out so many interesting things about them.
This summer I had a big Bill Bryson kick and read 5 or 6 of his books. A Walk in the Woods was hysterical.
Happy reading!

Sarah

Hopewell said...

Lobster sounds good! Oh, it's a book--even better! I'll look for it. Yes, I read to suit my mood!

Carrie said...

Ivanhoe! I'm impressed. Your reading list looks varied and fun. Thanks for linking up to Nightstand so that we could see what you are up to!

Leonie said...

I never really got into Villette..I'm reading Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, The Nun, The Secret Life of bees, The Nun's Story, Weight Loss That Lasts. lol!

Hopewell said...

Leonie: I tried "bees" but couldn't get into it...it's on my "try again sometime" list.

Susan said...

I loved Villette years ago ... wasn't it the one that was supposed to be a pretty-much-true account of Charlotte (it was Charlotte, right?)'s hoped-for romance with a teacher there?

Hopewell said...

Susan--I'm not sure, but I think you are right. I'm not that far along into Villette yet.

my kids mom said...

Always enjoy your reading lists! Thank you for taking the time! I read Julie & Julia about a year ago. LOVED it. I hear that the movie is not nearly as salty as the book. I still haven't undertaken a cooking project of my own, but am planning my next OAMC day!!