Tuesday, August 25, 2009

What I'm reading and listening to this week

Just started this one, but I'm looking forward to more of it after the "18 Kids and Counting" tonight.... I'm a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer so I really enjoy Peace Corps books.
First Comes Love, Then Comes Malaria

Wasted way too long on this one...... I grabbed it for a quarter on the library sale cart. My Mom's first teenage crush on a movie star was on Peter Lawford--she still has the photo his "people" sent in response to her letter requesting one! You can read my review on GoodReads.com Warning: this is not a kindly, "I heart Kennedys" review.
Symptoms of Withdrawal

The Knitting Circle. Maybe it's just too soon after the cliched, but not killed-by-cliches Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons, but this one is only O.K. and I'm mid-way into disc two. Something about having to hear about oral s@x that turns my stomach--especially when I'm in the car in rush hour traffic. Still, it might be only the mandatory sex scene that all fiction authors must provide. A character also stepped out of character to make the obligatory use of that F word, too. Otherwise, it seems like regular chick lit for the middle aged. Since my other requested books on cd aren't in yet at the library, I'll probably have to hang in there with it or risk going to sleep driving home. I get too mad listening to "All Things Considered" any more. Can't take more water torture is or is not legal or what kind of socialized medicine we need is more than I can take right now!

I've got several others started that may or may not get finished. I've been an insatiable reader this summer. Looks like that will continue on into Fall. Helps that there's nothing on tv!

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

I hope you stay insatiable a bit longer - I like your book reviews!!