Monday, August 31, 2009

NYT Pick a book you like

A very good article on a self-directed reading program for Middle Schoolers in the NY Times.I find this approach encouraging. That's not to say I'm 100% sold, but I think it is helpful to see a move away from the rigid straight jacket of the AR test system [In that system you have to read books for which the school has an Accelerated Reader system test] or a mandate-heavy reading curriculum. Middle School is such a confusing time and the kids ability to focus, digest information, process information and put aside their own concerns to empathize, differs radically between boys and girls and even day-to-day, class-to-class. Our Middle School in Southern Indiana came very close to this, but the teacher still chose some.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Yes, encouraging. AR was big when I quit teaching in '97 and I was never a fan of its restrictions on what kids read.