Tuesday, June 16, 2009

What I'm reading andl listening too

Just finished Tortialla Curtain on my lunch run. It's a contemporary Grapes of Wrath and kind of depressing. If you are an overly-sensitive cat lover, skip it--ok? Not very cheery so I can't say slip it in your pool bag, either. BUT, if you want to think over the issue of Illegal Immigration, this is your book.

Still working on Ivanhoe and Daughter in Time in slow, CM-approve bursts. Going to try to get B to listen to the last little bite of the Penderwicks if I can stay up till her summer bedtime tonight! I'm nearly finished with Barbara Kingsolver's delightful Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. I've picked up a few and read a little and put them down. Jury is still out so no verdict or titles yet!

Next audio book:



Morality For Beautiful Girls the next in the "No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency" series set in modern-day Botswana. The first two were wonderful, so I hope the whole series will be!

Some duds to return to the library, some others to start. I also hopefully picked up a few books at Barnes/Noble while grabbing our lunch. We'll see if any are worth it or not. I'm thinking, since it's so hot, I'll start with this one:




The Others I grabbed have been on my radar, if not my wishlist, for a while:






I'm a sucker for a Peace Corps book--every time!! Don't know if it can touch Village of Waiting, but I'll see and let you know. In case you hadn't noticed, I'm a non-fiction lover.....

3 comments:

Jeanne said...

Mmmm, McCall Smith is on my list too. Thanks for the review.

I'm currently reading Girl with a Pearl Earring. Unputdownable!!

Hopewell said...

Hmm, I may have to give "Girl" another shot.....

Leonie said...

I'm not sure I want to read depressing right now. Just finished Grandmother and the Priests.; finishing off The Power and The Glory; reading non fiction about healthy eating and not stressing about calories/carbs/fats etc; and want to re-read some Harry Potter before the next movie.